The report dataset is all the data extracted or calculated from the database that is included in the report. The dataset is built with data items and columns and all the fields in the dataset may be used in the report layout (A).
One of the key features in NAV when developing/designing complex reports was the ability to view and save the generated report dataset when inspecting the report preview page (Ctrl + Alt + F1). The absence of this functionality in Business Central Web Client was a big limitation that we had so far.
Now, starting on Business Central 2021 Release Wave 1 Cumulative Update 3 (v18.3), Microsoft added this feature once more. It is now possible to export the report dataset to Excel using the new feature Send To Microsoft Excel Document (data only), as detailed in the example below.
1. Open a Posted Sales Invoice
2. Click on Print/Send, and then on Print
3. Click on Send To
4. Choose “Microsoft Excel Document (data only)”
5. An Excel file is downloaded
6. The downloaded file includes the report dataset
This file will include all the data defined in the data items columns that are available for the layout.
This functionality also works with reports that have report extensions, as shown in the example below.
1. Create a report extension
2. Run the Report and Send To “Microsoft Excel Document (data only)”
The downloaded file will include all the data defined in the data items columns in the report and in the report extension.